● We treat all people equally regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, immigration and/or refugee status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or age.
● We respect personal decisions that are private, including medical and reproductive decisions, religious practices, and political views.
● We respect and honor Idaho’s tribal sovereign nations.
● We support job creation through sustainable agriculture, mining, timber, and manufacturing, while expanding industries such as technology, clean energy, and tourism.
● We support effective public transportation, modern telecommunications, public infrastructure, including the safe and timely maintenance and repair of roads, bridges, and public buildings.
● We demand fair and affordable housing, childcare, and will fight to end homelessness.
● We demand the Idaho legislature fully and completely fund all Idaho public schools. We demand public funding for public schools.
● We support Pre-K education.
● We support vocational and technical schools, apprenticeship programs, and tuition free post-secondary education, including two- and four-year colleges.
● We support our teachers and staff, including competitive compensation and their right to collective bargaining.
● We demand Medicaid expansion.
● We demand access to mental health care and other necessary social services.
● We believe that no one in Idaho should die from a preventable illness or go bankrupt due to medical expenses and prescription drug costs.
● We demand fair and comprehensive access to healthcare for every Idahoan.
● We demand affordable healthcare to include the prevention of drug addiction and provide care and rehabilitation services for those suffering from addiction.
● We uphold an individual’s right to choose and their access to reproductive medical care.
● We support the legalization of CBD oil for medical use.
● We endorse modern methods of voter registration, increased opportunities to cast ballots, and accurate verification of counted votes.
● We elect candidates that represent all people and are accountable and responsive to all their constituents.
● We demand that the Idaho independent redistricting commission remain unchanged.
● We demand voting in Idaho shall be free of foreign influence.
● We support legislation that empowers local communities.
● We demand open and transparent government.
● We demand all Idahoans have access to their government.
● We support the adoption of the recommendation of the 2017 panel for financial disclosure by legislators.
● We embrace the role of the free press as the guardians of democracy.
● We support campaign finance reform; corporations are not people.
AS THEY ARE THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND HEALTHY COMMUNITIES.
● We demand fair and equal treatment in the workplace that supports a livable wage.
● We believe in and work for a healthy economy that supports thriving families.
● We demand the repeal of Right to Work.
● We support labor unions and the worker’s right to organize and engage in collective bargaining free from government or business interference.
● We support businesses that act responsibly toward the working people, the State, and the environment.
● We demand the elimination of all sales tax exemptions.
● We support a graduated corporate income tax rate.
● We require businesses to be responsible and pay their fair share of the budgetary needs of the state.
● We oppose using General Fund tax dollars for transportation infrastructure.
● We support local option taxing authority for cities and counties.
● We demand diplomacy before sending the people of our Armed Forces into harm’s way.
● We demand the defense of human rights around the world.
● We encourage, appreciate, and support all Idahoans and their families, serving in the military.
● We honor our veterans and support their successful return to their communities, including the guaranteed funding and protection of their post-service benefits.
● We maintain a clean and healthful environment, including clean water and watersheds, clean air, and wild places.
● We commit to fact- and science-based measures to prevent and mitigate the effects of climate change.
● We require close regulation and monitoring of hydrocarbon development in Idaho to protect our water resources, property rights, and rural communities.
● We support the humane treatment of domestic, industrial, and wild animals.
● We recognize Idaho’s outdoor enthusiasts, including our heritage of fair chase hunting and fishing open to all Idahoans.
● We will keep Federal public lands inviolate and protect their ecological integrity; keeping public lands in public hands.
● We honor the place of sustainable family-owned agriculture in Idaho’s history.
● We stand with the farmers, ranchers, and workers who build the land’s natural abundance, biodiversity, and resilience.
● We support clean energy and sustainability of natural resources.
● We demand all laws to be created fairly and uniformly enforced.
● We demand community law enforcement work in partnership with the citizens they serve.
● We believe victims, plaintiffs, and defendants have the right to speedy and fair trials.
● We believe bail must be fair and responsible.
● We believe in the importance of the public defender and the right of all people to have counsel. Sentencing must be proportionate to the crime committed with particular deference to rehabilitation and humanity.
● We reject private prisons.
● We demand a justice system that provides rehabilitation, enhanced education, access to mental healthcare, and employment opportunities.
● We demand a restorative criminal justice system free of bias regarding race, economic status, and other marginalized communities.
● We recognize immigrants as our neighbors, our co-workers, and our schoolmates. Our children will lead Idaho together and make Idaho strong.
● We demand the ethical treatment of those seeking opportunity and safety in the country.
● We demand comprehensive and compassionate immigration reform.
● We believe medical cannabis should be a legal and available treatment option.
● We believe recreational cannabis should be allowed for those 21 years of age and older.
● We believe all cannabis tax revenue should be directed to additional educational funding and infrastructure improvement in our state.
● We believe the cultivation of agricultural hemp should be an option for Idaho farmers.
“A WELL REGULATED MILITIA, BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF A FREE STATE, THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.”
● We demand universal criminal background checks.
● We demand laws that keep guns out of the hands of convicted domestic abusers.
● We support the rights of hunters and sportspersons in Idaho.
● We support scientific research on gun violence.
Resolutions to Improve Community Safety and Security
A. Resolution Regarding High Capacity Magazines:
Whereas, the latest mass killings (El Paso and Dayton) were committed with assault style rifles with high capacity magazines, and
Whereas, many other mass killings involved the use of weapons with high capacity magazines for rifles, and
Whereas, weapons with high capacity magazines are obviously designed to maximize death and serious injuries of people, and
Whereas, weapons with high capacity magazines were never intended for hunting wildlife, or defending one’s family and property against intruders, or for any other reasonable civilian purpose, and
Whereas, weapons with high capacity magazines therefore do not need to be available to civilians, and
Whereas, a federal law would significantly improve our safety and security in America by banning sales of weapons with high capacity magazines to civilians,
Therefore, be it resolved that all reasonable and compassionate people in our community work together to support a federal law that bans the sale of weapons with high capacity magazines to civilians, and also authorizes buying back from the public all weapons with high capacity magazines that are currently in possession of civilians.
B. Resolution Regarding Universal Background Checks:
Whereas, people who pose risks to themselves and others should be banned from purchasing all firearms, and
Whereas, all the latest polls show widespread support (80% - 90%) for universal background checks, which would prevent people from purchasing firearms when they pose risks to themselves and others,
Therefore, be it resolved that we all work together to improve the federal law regarding background checks to include banning sales of firearms to persons who pose risks to themselves and others.
The Boundary County Democrats Central Committee passed two resolutions on September 6, 2019 in response to the latest of a record number of mass casualty shootings in the United States in an effort to over-reach the myriad stalled federal attempts to effectively reduce these devastating incidents by prompting support of solutions at the community level.